There is one thing in life that I will never cease to crave, and that is chocolate. As I’ve mentioned before, chocolate has a bunch of benefits, and I think these brownie bites provide all those benefits, and even more!
That’s right, these guys right here are healthy!! They are made with wholesome ingredients and very minimal added fat, and they taste like nothing I have ever tasted before. Rich, fudgy, dark, dense… The list goes on.
These bites are actually the product of a failed attempt to make brownies. As a matter of fact, this recipe is inspired by Amy’s Healthy Baking’s Clean and Fudgy Brownies. I made a few changes, including changing the eggs for ground flax seed and water, and the batter turned out to be a complete fail. I tried to place it in a 8×8 pan and it was just not spreading. As a side note, I want to add that my mom has made the original recipe before and they were absolutely amazing, however when it comes to baking, I always feel the need to change some of the ingredients, and it doesn’t always lead to promising results. In an attempt to save this chocolatey deliciousness, I decided to bake them like cookies!
What a great idea that was, might I just say.
Chocolate lovers, these bites are the perfect treat for you, and you don’t even need to feel guilty about eating too many of these!! They’ve got greek yogurt, whole wheat flour, flax seeds and a bunch of cocoa! And they taste super rich, even my mom and boyfriend freaked out when they ate these (and that means it’s very good, if you were wondering).
Your chocolate dreams have been answered!
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 5 tbsp water
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt, vanilla and non fat
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- handful of hemp seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the flax seeds and water and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, cocoa and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flax seed mixture, maple syrup, greek yogurt and melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined. The batter is very dry, which is normal.
- Form 18 round balls with your dough, by rolling the dough in between your palms.
- Add 12 of these balls to the prepared baking sheet, and press them down gently with the palm of your hand so that they are slightly flattened.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from pan immediately and place on aluminum foil to cool. Bake the remaining 6 balls of dough.
- Melt chocolate chips and, with a fork, drizzle the melted chocolate onto the brownie bites. While the chocolate is still warm, sprinkle the hemp seeds.
- These keep best in the fridge, as they tend to "sweat" when kept on the counter.
I would love to hear how you like these if you try them out! Have a great day everyone 🙂