Today’s post features one of the easiest recipes I have ever shared, and that is exactly the point!
It has come to my attention that a lot of people just don’t know what to eat for lunch and I realized that through my blog, I could perhaps help you get more lunch ideas. I have another super easy lunch idea that should be posted in the coming weeks as well, so perhaps this could become a little series.
Today features one of the most luxurious grilled cheeses you can ever make for yourself with as little as five minutes of prep needed. Let me introduce to you, the best homemade grilled cheese I have ever had.Before I jump into my step by step photos, do you have any idea how healthy beets are?? These little root vegetables can decrease inflammation, increase oxygen flow to our muscles and even help lower blood pressure. Sarah, an RD at Bucket List Tummy, talks about all the benefits in this blog post.
I used about one small beet for each sandwich. Don’t start thinking it takes forever to cook a beet, all I did was pop these in the microwave!
Puncture your beets with a fork and place in a shallow bowl with a couple tablespoons of water and cover with a napkin. Cook in the microwave for 5 minutes, flip the beets, cook for another 5 minutes or until the beets are easily punctured by a fork.
While the beets are cooling, start heating up your frying pan on medium heat and spreading your goat cheese on your sandwiches.
- 2 beets, peeled
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tbsp Boursin rosemary goat cheese (or any goat cheese you prefer)
- 1 tbsp of fresh herbs (I used oregano and basil, you can use dried or you can omit)
- 2 tbsp butter
- In a shallow dish with a couple tablespoons of water, add your beets. Ensure that they have been punctured with a fork and cover the dish with a napkin/cloth. Cook for 5 minutes in the microwave, flip the beets, and cook for another 5 minutes or until tender when poked.
- On a slice of bread, spread 1 tbsp of the goat cheese and repeat on another slice of bread.
- Sprinkle the fresh herbs on the bread slices.
- Top with slices of cooked beats and close your sandwich.
- In a heated pan, add your butter or directly spread the butter on the outside of the sandwich, and grill the sandwiches until golden and crispy on each side.
- Cut in half and serve warm!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe 🙂
What is your favorite grilled cheese flavor pairings?